Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How I met Norm. . .

Everything was blissful with Gary and me for the next couple of months and we were about to enter into our first Christmas season together. I was eager to spend time with his family since the holidays hadn't been that much fun for me the past several years, with the exception of the previous year. In 2004, I had one of the best holiday seasons ever. I spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with Karen, Norm and all their family. It was magical. . .

I know I've mentioned Karen and Norm throughout this blog, but never mentioned how I came into their family. Long story short: In February, 2003, I surrendered my life to Jesus. I mean: surrendered every part of my life. Although I was a Christian since 11 years old, Jesus was NOT the Lord of my life until February, 2003. I had quit dipping in January of that year--a 19 year habit that had become such a burden between God and me. Then, in February, after drinking to oblivion and completely humiliating myself at a local bar, I surrendered everything two days later. I asked God to take the desire to drink out of my body, and He did. Yes, just like that.

I hungered to know Him more and to know His Word and what it said about me and to me. I went through some valleys during that time and seemed to have few friends that understood where I was. I prayed God would send me some new Christian women friends, and He delivered. I began Paula Heskett's Bible study, with her roommates, Pam and Cindy. Cindy and I met through our jobs. Paula introduced me to the Power of the Holy Spirit and I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. This all made so much sense to me! God wants us to live victoriously and gives us the Power of the Holy Spirit to do just that. But we must tap into that power. I wanted everything God had for me. I went through "deliverance" with Paula to rid myself of some chains and shackles that had kept me in bondage for so many years, e.g. insecurities, loneliness, fear of abandonment. I learned that "bondage" comes off like layers of an onion come off. One thin layer at a time. I've been back to see Paula several times for deliverance of over bondages that have reared their ugly heads. As I've grown in Christ, new things are revealed and I've gone to new levels. As Joyce Meyer says it, "New level, new devil." So true!

Okay, so back to Norm and Karen. In December of 2003, during my debut as an Angel in the Paramount Terrace Christian Church Pageant, I prayed, "Lord, I want to do something for You, something big for You, to show You how much I love You and to thank You for all You've done for me." That was my prayer many nights after rehearsal. My heart was full of gratitude for this new path I was on and I just wanted to show God how thankful I was for the freedom He'd given me.

Fast forward to September, 2004--while driving to Lubbock one day for work, a friend of mine, Jan Frisbee, called and asked me to pray for "Norm"...whom I knew as "The Big Red King" in the Christmas Pageant. I'd met him backstage the year before and he and his family sat about four rows behind me at church. Jan informed me that Norm had been on dialysis for some time after his two kidneys failed due to high blood pressure, and also after a kidney transplant, (from a deceased person.) Dialysis was hard on Norm, being a 6 foot 7 inch man. It took over four hours for him to complete one dialysis cycle. Jan said he was going back onto the "Transplant List", but that it might take four years to get a kidney, I asked, "What about his family, can they donate?" Jan said they'd already been tested and no, they couldn't donate. Then, out of my mouth, it seemed before I knew what I was saying, I blurted out, "What about mine? Could I donate my kidney to him?" Jan, who was a retired nurse, said, "You know, honey, I don't know? I believe you have to be similar blood types and Norm is A-." To donate, I'd have to be A- or A+. All my life, I thought I was A+, but told Jan, when I returned to Amarillo that afternoon, I'd stop by Coffee Blood Bank and get tested to make sure. Jan and I decided we'd both pray about this.

I hung up the phone and started praying out loud to God, "Lord, if this is You, please let us be a match. If not, if this is NOT something you want me to do, please Lord, don't let us be a match. Put an obstacle up so this won't happen. I want to be in Your Will, but I want to help Norm if I can." Inside, I was excited! Excited at the hope of helping someone in a "big" way. Was this an answer to my prayer? I definitely thought it could be.

Guess what? I got my blood tested and I am A-! I couldn't believe it! I was almost certain I was A+, but nope! A-! I was so excited when I found out, that I drove to the church where I knew I'd find Jan's van parked and put a note on her windshield that said, "I'm A-, the same as Norm! Call me!" Jan called and we both just screamed with joy. She took me to meet Norm and Karen the next day. Norm thought I was another "Dawn" from our church-the one who sung in the choir. So when I appeared, he was a little confused. At first, he didn't want to receive a kidney from a living donor because he didn't want to put anyone through the surgery and recovery, but his family and Jan convinced him this would be the best bet instead of waiting on a transplant for four years. Norm didn't think he could stay on dialysis that long, it was already taking a toll on his body.

Instantly, Norm and I hugged. Karen and I hugged. Within minutes, we were supernaturally bonded and within weeks, I literally became a part of their family. It was such a time of celebration and joy. Norm has two children, Kendra and Kyle. They were both married and have children. Kendra's children are Railey, Kellyn and Hogan and Kyle and Leesa's are Sydnee and Gage. I became like an Aunt to their children and we all enjoyed each other so much. I believe we met on September 16, 2004. On October 26th, we had the transplant. It was unbelievable how quickly all the testing went, which was unprecedented. We heard that sometimes, it can take up to 6 months to get all the testing done, the insurance approved, etc. But Norm and I were on a mission: we had to get the transplant done, and be recovered so we could begin rehearsals for the Christmas Pageant early December. Our doctors laughed at us because we were so determined, but they obliged.

Jan went with me and stayed in the hospital room with me on a tiny cot. She made such a huge sacrifice to do that for me, but she wasn't about to let me be in that room alone. I'm so thankful she was with me, too.

So, the nurses give me a "cocktail" shot to help relax me and then I got wheeled into some cold room where I was given something like an epidural shot to help ease the pain when I came out of recovery. Throughout the entire process, there was joy. I never feared the surgery or recovery because I knew God was with me. Now, that is a miracle all in itself considering that I am terrified of shots, needles or pain! Yes, I have a zero tolerance for pain...I'm a WHIMP! Okay, okay...there, I confess. I can't even be in the same room when Shorty is getting her nails clipped! It's that BAD! So, for me to go full steam ahead with all of the tests, which by the way, might have been the roughest part for me: getting stuck with those needles to test my blood many times. The strength to volunteer to have an elective surgery was from God and not me. I could not have done any of that on my own. (As evidenced by Shorty's Vet visits!) I do believe when God calls us to do something, He does equip us. He had to equip me, because I could not have done any of that without Him.

Okay, this story is longer than I thought, but I want to tell it so you, the reader, might consider kidney donation too. (Yes, I'm serious!) So, we had the surgery on Tuesday morning, I was released on Saturday. Yes, I was sore. But not as sore as I was when I had laproscopic surgery on my stomach 8 years before. And this was for a much better cause!

At the time of the surgery, I was working for Great Western Directories selling yellow book advertising. Commission only sales job. Our "season" ended in December, and by the time I had the surgery, October 26th, I had completed all my renewable sales for the year. That was another miracle from God. Members of our church anonymously donated around $3500.00 to give me, knowing I was without income during the three weeks of recovery. That was another miracle. It was exactly what I needed to make ends meet while I was off work. Norm's insurance paid for all of my medical bills, another miracle. And Norm and I were at every performance of the Christmas Pageant that year. It was a miracle. It was all a miracle.

So, that's how I met Norm. When I mention him, you'll know who he is and how he entered my life...or how I entered his life. His family was such a blessing to me and they took me in as their own, like an orphan. I was delighted and once again, simply amazed at the goodness of my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs