Monday, September 28, 2009

The Proposal

Gary had the ring several weeks before he proposed. He thought of many different ideas and ways and places to propose, but in the end, the Ranch at Wheeler won. It was the weekend of Britton's 18th birthday. So a few of Britton's friends were there and Bree was there as well. They all helped Gary with his master plan, which is really neat. Bree and I were cooking macaroni and cheese when Gary said he was going to go to the pond, or somewhere. I didn't think anything about it. Britton and Kirby went with Gary. Bree and I were having a grand time cooking up one of my favorite dishes...mac and cheese. Then, Bree says we need to "go,"...and I thought, Hmm? what's going on. I started to get an inclination that Gary was up to something, but wasn't sure. This was definitely not how I pictured the proposal, since I was in a mismatched sweat suit with no make-up and a bad hair day! I realize now, how I looked wasn't as important to Gary as who I am. (Over the years, that has become more and more comforting.)

So, Bree hands me a card from Gary and it tells me to head to the pond for my next "clue." Bree and I jump in the Ranger and head to the pond. We pull up and find Britton and Kirby there, holding a rose for me, from Gary. They tell me to head to the creek and stop before I go over the bridge. I left Bree at the pond with Britton and Kirby and they walked back to the house.

I drove to the bridge where Bree had made a sign and had it draped across the opening of the bridge telling me to "stop" and wait. I'm smiling from ear to ear because I know Gary is somewhere near. In a few seconds, he emerges from behind a big cottonwood tree trunk. He had a coat and tie on with his jeans and hunting boots. Oh, he looked adorable. On the picnic table were a dozen roses. I walked over to meet Gary and huged his neck before he said anything. Gary slowly rests on one knee and looks up to me with a huge smile...I'm smiling too. He asked me what I'd hoped he'd ask me since the third week I'd known him...."Dawn, will you marry me?" Ohhhh, again, I about melt to the ground. My heart is pounding, palms are sweating, birth mark is beaming..."Yes, Gary Wells, I will marry you!" He stands up to embrace me and places my engagement ring (I had picked out) on my left ring finger. We hugged so hard, I thought we might break. It was a wonderful moment in time. I'm so thankful his kids were there to share this with us...that made it very special.

We drove back to the house to find the kids waiting for us. They were excited-- we were all excited. The evening continued to be one of celebration as we cooked out for Britton's birthday and ate birthday cake. Later, the girls challenged the boys to a game of Pictionary and we smoked them! It was so much fun.

I later wrote in my journal: I can't believe such a beautiful man, whose heart is golden and his love for You Lord is so solid, wants to marry me!! He will be the spiritual leader of our household. I can't believe everything I've dreamed of is happening right before my eyes! And he loves me so much Lord--all my my imperfections, my past, my moods--He still loves me! Might I express this hope to some other women for You, Lord? Show me how!

To me, this was all so hard to believe it was happening in my life. Truly, a dream come true. Prior to picking out the engagement ring, I had to tell Gary about my past, all of it, because I wanted him to know everything about me. There were times, I labored for days, over the thought of telling him about some horrible choices I'd made in my past marriage. In fact, I tortured myself into thinking, once I tell him THIS, he'll be gone. Or once I tell him THAT, he'll be gone. He never left. He never even stumbled over his words when he responded to all that I told him. His response was this, "I see a pure heart in you, Dawn. I saw that the first day I met you and I still see it. We all have a past, and who am I to throw the first stone?" Wow. To this day, Gary never brings up anything I've confessed to him from my past in a negative way. Never. And I do mean never. He is not jealous, not insecure and loves me unconditionally everyday. Does it sound to good to be true? Well, every day, I thank God that I have Gary as a husband and this life. I am blessed beyond belief and I don't want to ever take that for granted.

I would say this: Don't settle for less than your dream. God knows your dream anyway and wants to give that to you. Seek Him and He will direct your path right into your dreams. He is a great God Who gives great gifts to His children. There is always hope in Jesus. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs