Monday, October 5, 2009

Why do we have two kidneys?

Let me catch you up with Norm's progress. In February '05 Norm started having trouble with his kidney. There's a test that shows kidney function and creatnine levels. Norm's creatnine level was rising. 1.0 is very good, but his was rising up to the 6.0-8.0 level. That was not good. His surgeon, Dr. Van Buren, in Lubbock was concerned and did a biopsy of the kidney. He suspected Norm's first donated kidney failed due to a virus called "BK"...a virus that we all have traces of in our body, but when a transplant patients immune system is compromised from taking immuno-suppressant drugs, the BK virus can attack the donated kidney (foreign object)... The biopsy showed BK virus in his new kidney. This was not good news at all. The kidney was still functioning, but only at about 50%. Dr. Van Buren said Norm could do nothing right now, but eventually he'd have to do something. In July, '05, Norm was admitted to BSA to try a new drug that had a 50/50 chance of overcoming the BK virus. This drug had to be administered through an IV and Dr. Van Buren was skeptical, but knew it was worth a shot to try it. If it didn't work, it would "zap" the kidney and the kidney's function would deteriorate quickly and Norm would have to return to dialysis. Norm was willing to try.

The results weren't good. The medicine did in fact "zap" the kidney. It was just a matter of time before Norm would have to return to dialysis. This was devastating news to me. I felt like I'd failed Norm with my kidney and the enemy attacked me from all sides. During that time, Gary was very supportive and seemed to understand why I felt that way. In October, '05, Norm did go back onto dialysis. His quality of life was compromised somewhat, but he thought he could endure it for awhile. Because two donated kidneys failed, he was not a candidate to go back onto the transplant list. Despite this sad news to all of us, we marched along, thankful for all the goodness God had given to us and knew things could always be worse. Norm was such a good sport about his health and never complained. His great attitude helped inspire so many around him to be thankful.

Now Norm's body housed 4 kidneys, none of which were functioning for him! That seemed amazing to me. Unless the body "rejected" the kidney, functioning or not, there was no need to remove the kidney. During all this, I learned a tremendous amount about kidney disease. High blood pressure is what got Norm's kidneys originally. He didn't realize his blood pressure was so high and gone undetected, it can damage the kidneys significantly. Diabetes is another kidney "zapper."

But having gone through everything we went through, I never did learn why we're born with two kidneys. The medical Doctors couldn't even give me a good reason. And having lived now, almost 5 years with only one kidney, I cannot, for the life of me, determine why we need two kidneys. The ONLY reason I came up with is this: TO GIVE ONE AWAY.

Currently, there are approximately 78,000 people in America on the waiting list for a kidney. Sometimes, the wait can be up to four years. Many of those people die while waiting. If less than half the population of Amarillo, TX donated a kidney, the waiting list would be completely eliminated! Those are staggering numbers, but hopeful, indeed. I realize donating a kidney isn't for everyone. Some people wouldn't even be a candidate for donation due to minor medical issues, such as too much protein in their kidneys, or a history of kidney stones... But there are many people who would be fantastic donors.

Despite the fact that Norm's donated kidneys had failed him, they did extend his life and give him a better quality of life while they were functioning. My life was blessed immensely by donating a kidney to Norm and I would do it again if I had another one to spare. Since I don't, I recruit.

There is an organization called "Paired Donation" that will match your donated kidney to someone and therefore, give your loved one a kidney donated from someone else. This is great when you want to donate to someone you know, but aren't a match. This organization moves the process along quickly so the recipients don't have to wait four years on the transplant list. Brilliant idea!

Legislature is visiting the notion of a "tax credit" for living donors. Not a bad idea. We get tax deductions for donating old clothing, etc...why shouldn't we get a tax credit for donating an organ? Seems logical to me. We'll see what happens in Washington.

I do believe one of the first questions I'll ask Jesus when I get to Heaven, is: "Why did we have two kidneys?" I wonder if His answer will be, "To give one away."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs