Friday, October 2, 2009

Our first house. . .

After the holidays, Gary and I attended Britton's basketball games on Tuesday's and Friday's. Britton is a great basketball player and this was his senior year; last year for Gary to see him play. I hadn't been to high school games in a long time, so it was nice to get back into the fierce competition of high school sports. Plus, it always helps to have a "favorite player" to yell for during the exciting games. That makes the game so much more fun.

In January, the thought crossed our minds to marry right away and I'd move in with Gary and Britton in Canyon. We were so ready to get married, yet didn't want to regret rushing things. Something really bothered me about marrying so quickly, right in the middle of Britton's senior year, and living in their house. I felt unpeaceful about that idea. I had vowed that I would not move into another man's house; that if I married again, we'd find a house together and it would be OURS. That was important to me because of my previous marriage. We live and learn, don't we?

After much prayer, we decided it would be best if we waited until the end of the school year and that Gary and I find our own house. We did just that. Right across the street from Gary's dad and step mom was a house that's been on the market for a year. The owners lived in California and seemed eager to sell. Gary and I prayed about a price and decided we wouldn't go higher than that. When we made the initial offer, they denied it. We walked away. Two weeks later, Gary and I were eating at Furr's (yes, we love that place and we're not even old!) We got a call from the owners asking if we were still interested in their house. Gary said, "Yes, at our original price." The owner said, "You just bought yourself a house." We couldn't believe it! We were so excited as more and more things were happening that just sealed the fact we would be married soon.

I put my house up "for sale by owner" and sold it in two days. Unbelievable! Then, a local banker who knew Gary was getting married asked him if he was going to sell his house. Gary told him yes, and move to Amarillo. One Saturday, Gary, Britton and I cleaned their house top to bottom to show to this family. They bought it and allowed Gary to rent it from them until June, after we returned from our honeymoon. Gary never even put a "for sale" sign in his front yard. Unbelievable! Miracle after miracle kept happening. We were estatic at the favor we had!

I moved into our new house in January and started decorating little by little. It was wonderful to live across the street from Jimmy and Jerre, my soon to be in-laws. Now, I know some people would cringe at the thought of living across the street from their in-laws, but not in this case. Jimmy and Jerre are a lot of fun to be around and they adored me. That always helps when your in-laws really like you. That helps a lot, come to think of it. I adore them as well. In fact, instead of them barging in on us, we're the ones barging in on them! They have a large chocolate Lab named Hershey...so we're both dog people, which is another plus. It's just really nice to have a neighbor so close that you trust them with your garage door opener and with your pets. VERY IMPORTANT! We love living across the street from them and can't imagine living anywhere else. The thought of moving away from them saddens me, even though Gary would love to build a house someday. We'll see what happens. For now, we are just perfect right where we are. God is good-ALL the time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs