Thursday, February 4, 2010

Can "One" make a difference?

After a brainstorming meeting today at the Downtown Women's Center regarding our upcoming Spring Luncheon, I left asking myself the question, "Can one person really make a difference?" Our guest speaker is going to be Ron Hall, co-author of "Same Kind of Different As Me". His newest release, "What Difference Do It Make?" with Denver Moore, just hit the book shelves. If you haven't read these books, I urge you, for your own sake, to read them. They are life-changing books to read.

In discussing the homeless situation of our community, it just seems so overwhelming at times. To think of overcoming it is daunting to me. Plus, it's a way of life I don't fully understand because I've never been "homeless"...exactly, i.e. without a place to stay/live.

The government wants communities to come up with a 10-year plan to end homelessness....ha! I don't think they'd have the first clue.

So, in Ron and Denver's book, Ron addresses this issue...boldly. Count how many homeless families you have in your community and how many churches you have. The number of churches could easily out number the homeless families. So, what if each church "adopted" one homeless family...not to just hand them money, or give them food, but REALLY adopted them....like God adopted us? Could one family's life be changed? Love is powerful. Who better to adopt a homeless family than a church family? A body of Christ? I don't think just one person could do it...the task is too daunting, but a whole church body could definitely achieve this task....think about it? Whether it's a church with membership around 200 people or 2000 people.....it could most certainly be done! And why not? What do we have to lose? Nothing! But, what might we gain? Everything!

I don't know how this looks in an organized way, but I'm definitely pondering it. I know if this is something God wants us to go forward with, He will provide all the details...maybe, the charge will come at the luncheon...maybe before...all I know is. . . it CAN be done...with God, all things are possible. He tells us to take care of the poor. Are we? Really? Oh boy, I've been convicted! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs