Friday, February 19, 2010

Housewife Discrimination

Well, I'm still on my "Housewife" soap box, but tonight, I come from a different angle. My dear friend, "Jane", (name has been changed to protect the innocent :)) has been discriminated against in her work place....at least, in my opinion, she has.

Jane is a mother of two, a wife and an extremely hard-working paralegal up in the eastern parts of America. For as long as I've known Jane, she has worked very hard at succeeding as a mother, friend, and employee. She's been married for the past five years and has worked full-time+ for many years, but decided to add to her family by having a precious boy. Now a toddler, all this time, Jane has worked part-time since her return to work. Her female employer was all in favor of this new schedule and seemingly understood Jane's desire to work part-time now as she had a little one at home.

Her employer's firm is merging with another firm and the new firm will not allow any employees to work part-time! Okay, I guess it's any employers prerogative, but come on! This is 2010, for goodness sakes! It seems America has become flexible in every area of its entire "being", ...so surely, having a part-time employee wouldn't be such a stretch.....one would think...

Here's where I think "discrimination" comes in....in my opinion, God first, family second, self third, world...next. Now, I know not everyone would agree with God first....that's just another thing America has become too flexible about....but couldn't everyone agree family should be at the very top of the list? Look at the breakdown of the family since women have entered the work force...hmm? Look at the divorce rate over the past 50 years in connection with the "women's rights movements" etc. Sounds crazy that I, a woman, would mention that in a negative light...My own mom was a member of the NOW group back in the '80's. I completely agree with equality in the work place, but I have to say, if a woman wants to divide her time between raising her children and taking care of her husband AND working part-time...well LET HER! An employer doesn't even have to pay benefits on a part-time employee...but to declare NO part-time employment when an employee has been successfully completing her work is flat-out discrimination to me.

You think there's any Special Interest groups lobbying for her in Washington? Or even to her State Representative? Nope...not a chance. Any person who did that might be deemed a fool....but God has something to say about that...

1 Corinthians 1:27 (New Living Translation)

Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And He chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful.


So, we silent, powerless housewives tarry on in our "unglamourous" positions as we care for our husbands, our children and our homes. Ha! I am anything BUT silent and I find my life quite glamorous...in its own special way. I've been in Corporate America and it was definitely not what I was called to do. I've been in sales and loved it, but knew, deep down, that I longed to be a housewife. Now, not many woman would ever admit that...but I have loved taking care of my husband, my home, my family and myself. There are days, as with any job, that it gets stressful and feels like its never all done from morning to bedtime. However, I wouldn't trade this time for anything. So, to my friend Jane who is looking at the crossroad ahead, I want to encourage her that God will give her the grace to complete the work she's doing. Since she's made the decision to NOT go back to work full time as the new employer demands...her life will take a different turn for sure....God will be there every step of the way. I am so excited to see what God has planned for her next chapter....no doubt, it will be more exciting, adventurous and fulfilling than anything she can dream....just let Him drive! :)
Tootles....
Your Happy Housewife :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs