Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hi. . .What do you do?

I wonder how many times I've been asked that question. How about you? How many times in your lifetime have you been asked that question? Too many to count (or remember, for sure!) I love the different looks and reactions I've gotten over the past year when someone has asked, "Hi, and what do you do?" I reply, in an almost sheepish way, "I'm a housewife." Oh really? Then as conversations progress, the ultimate question always comes...."...so what do you do to keep busy?" AS IF I don't have enough to keep busy!

In an attempt to better understand why I seem out of time every day...I asked God to help me become a better time manager so I can get done what I feel is most important. What I feel the Lord showed me today, is that I have not taken my job seriously (probably because most people in today's society don't either.) Therefore, I would put my "job duties" on the back burner as I ran around trying to do all that others asked of me. (Yes, I've been around this mountain in a similar way before.)

What I realized today is that God assigned me to this position of Housewife. In my quiet time, He has made it very clear that my first priority (after Him, of course) is Gary, our home and all that entails. For me, that is every bit a full-time job. For instance, today, I awoke early and made Gary his protein shake, rested another hour. Got up and did P90X work-out for an hour. Vacuumed the house, showered, listened to phone messages, returned calls, read texts, and replied. Finished getting ready, straightening up the house then off to the Bank, Wal-mart, the mail box. Back home to unload groceries. Gathered Shorty up to take her to the vet for her yearly shots. Stopped by United for Allernon, (Walmart doesn't carry it.) Took clothes to the cleaners, went by the nursing home to see Margie and Brenda. Got Brenda's list for my next visit of things she needs. Came home, returned more phone calls. Ate a bowl of Special K cereal (for an early dinner)....

Now, that seems like a normal day, but what I've found is this: I can get so side-tracked so easily it isn't funny. It seems the slightest distraction and I'm off in a whole new direction. I've decided after my visit with God today that I am going to consider my position of "Housewife" much more important and serious....just like those who "clock in and receive a paycheck." Maybe if I consider this position more important...it will naturally become a priority and all other things can wait or get scheduled in where I can fit them.

I needed to figure all this out because I had reached a point where I had lost my joy in being a housewife and that is what I've dreamed of being to the man of my dreams! The enemy had figured out a way to steal that joy and I'm here to claim it all back! I realize the sole position of "housewife" is a dying occupation, but I feel strongly that God has called me to this position and so far, all God has assigned me to do has had utter importance to Him. I need to respect this position as much as any other job I've ever held.

"Stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58 :) Be blessed in whatever God has called you to do...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dawn - you are speaking directly into the depths of my heart with this note! So glad to read your words, at just the right moment. God Bless You! Robin

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs