Sunday, January 10, 2010

Humility and Pride

Hmm? So much could be said about the two words listed above. I bet if I asked 10 people "their" meaning of each word, perhaps I would receive 10 different definitions. Both words bring a strong emotional element when I hear them. I suppose that is because I'm paranoid of pride and in a never-ending search for humility.

Over the years, I've learned some interesting things about pride. How deceiving it can be; just how cunning it really is. That makes me even more paranoid of it! (not really, but, ok...kind of.) Pride is such a double-edged sword. We want to take pride in our children, our work, our family, etc...etc. Yet, the Bible clearly states that pride goes before destruction! No mincing those words, huh? So what's a person to do? How do we act accordingly? How do we keep "fleshly" pride at bay? It's not easy sometimes and I believe it's a tool the enemy uses on every person and every relationship under the sun.

That's where humility comes in. Not false humility, which I have certainly been guilty of. No, a spiritual humility that comes from a grateful heart towards God. When I think about where I USED to be, I get humble quickly. When I think about what Jesus did for me on the Cross, I get humbled instantly. These thoughts are what keep me looking up and not looking back. Oh, I've done my fair share of "looking back" with many regrets, but that's exhausting and got me no where fast. The only reason I look back now is to keep close to my heart what God did in my life about 7 years ago. I am a work in progress and always will be until Heaven. I'm thankful though, that in an instant-pride is dissolved with just a quick thought of where I was and who God is. Humility comes in like a flood and washes away that pride like a tide coming into shore. I love that. I'm grateful for that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs