Friday, June 15, 2012

Continuing on the Path of Simplicity

A few posts ago, I wrote about my journey to an Abundantly Simple Holy Life.  That was right about when we moved from our 3600 square foot house to our 1600 square foot rental.  Here it is, two months later, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the simpler life style.  I think about all of our other not-so-necessary belongings in that 10 x 30 storage building and shudder at the thought of unpacking it all when/if we find a home to buy again.

I can't begin to tell you how liberating it is to be renting right now!  We don't have to mow the grass, the homeowner's association contracts with someone to do that.  No taxes, no home insurance, no maintenance either!  We are grateful we have a garage to park our vehicles in and a small storage building for odds and ends we might need this summer.

We've begun the search for a new home, but honestly, I'm not feeling the deep desire to move just yet.  I love the central location we're in now and the thought of having to move far north or south just doesn't appeal to me at this current time.  I'm wondering if home ownership is overrated in America?

After reading the book Radical by David Platt, it's easy to wonder that as he concludes that the "American Dream" does not line up with the Gospel of Jesus.  It just doesn't.  I don't know what God has in store for Gary and me down the road as far as a home goes, but I can see, quite clearly, that home ownership is not as big a deal as I once thought it was.

I'm sure at some point the freedom of renting may burn out with us, but right now, it's a good thing.  Our load is light.  Stress level is low.  God is in control....as always.

Be blessed dear friend!

Keep it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs