Friday, February 10, 2012

Horse Therapy

Greetings on this Friday Evening,

Was it not an absolutely beautiful day, beginning about 2:00 this afternoon?  After having a Birthday lunch with my friend, Twilla, who turned 29(?) today, :)...I had the privilege of some horse therapy at Horse Play at Mesquite Ranch www.horseplayatmesquiteranch.com with Becky and Frank Foster.

For over a few years, my love for horses continues to grow to an insatiable degree, but the Lord lead me directly to Becky and Frank Foster as a volunteer and I have enjoyed every moment I've been able to spend learning from Becky and in the presence of those horses.  They are Tennessee Walking horses.  That didn't mean much to me when I first learned it, but I now know, they have a special gait and are simply the most gentle horses I've ever been around.  Becky and Frank are Equine Therapists and conduct sessions with children and adults by the use of the horses as metaphors to life's little (or big) obstacles.  As a client might try to get the horse to go over a barrel, without touching the horse, they find it's not as easy as it seems.  Just like life's obstacles aren't as easy as well.  After the exercise, the clients and Becky and Frank join together and "process" the feelings associated with the inability to get the horse to cooperate and complete the task, if in fact, the horse didn't.  However, many times, the clients are able to persuade the horse to go over the barrel, (or whatever the task might be) and then process the feelings/emotions/attitudes of the success of that.

Horses are unbelievably intuitive.  There is no fooling them.  If they sense you are frustrated, they dig their heels in the ground because they know they have the upper hand, now.  If you aren't assertive with them, they won't budge.  Then we get mad at the horse because we couldn't get them to complete the task like we wanted.  Isn't that just how we are in life?  I can so relate to that.  So many times, I haven't asserted myself towards someone, they overstep my lack of boundary and then I get frustrated with THEM!  Sounds silly as I write it now, but I've seen myself do that over and over.  The good news is, I'm quite aware of it now and it doesn't tend to happen nearly as often.


I encourage you to go onto their website listed above and check out their mission and vision.  They are changing lives in many of our at-risk youth and teaching them positive coping skills and lessons on life that they might not have ever learned otherwise.  This is one of the most incredible ministries I've been involved in and of course, it does meet a selfish need of mine to be around horses.  Becky also gives horse riding lessons, individually and for groups.  Let me just say, she has taught me an amazing amount of horse training on the ground and riding. She is more patient than Job! Today, I got to ride Bria (I call her my horse) for the first time.  She's only been ridden twice before by Becky and today, I had the incredible opportunity to climb up on her and sit tall on the saddle as we gently rode in the round pen today.  She did wonderfully!  Then, after I dismounted and walked away, she followed me.  Becky says that's the sign that she now sees me as her "leader."  When I turned around and she stood there three inches from my face, I couldn't help but feel an immediate bond with her.  She's truly an incredible horse, so gentle and laid back.  I long for our next "session."  Even if I just groom Bria, I feel I've had some awesome therapy.  It's indescribable.  If you're interested, email me or the Fosters.  They are the most likable people you'll ever meet and so eager to help others. 

There is something so majestic about horses and I can't seem to find the right words to explain it.  God created an amazing animal in the horse and I long to understand them more deeply.  Thanks to Becky and Frank, I've been given that opportunity. :)

 “Do you give the horse its strength  or clothe its neck with a flowing mane?  Do you make it leap like a locust, striking terror with its proud snorting?  Job 39: 19-20 NIV




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs