Thursday, January 13, 2011

Knowledge is power. . .

     Knowledge IS power!  I am so happy to say that as I take a more proactive role in my health, I feel much more EMPOWERED!  I love that!  In an earlier post, I noted that I wanted to get my body fat down to 25% by March.  So far, I've lost 5 pounds and about 1.5% body fat.  Well, what I didn't mention in that earlier post is that for the past 5 years, I've been a natural laxative addict! :)  (You might want to stop reading this if you're uncomfortable with body-speak.) lol!

     Okay, so without too many details, one of the aspects of my health I knew I needed to address in this new year is this addiction to natural Senna...which is a laxative.  All of this addiction started after my surgery in 2004...my colon just went to sleep and couldn't "wake-up", so a doctor prescribed a medication to get my colon to wake up and get moving...however, I didn't want to become dependent on the prescription med, so I began taking a "natural laxative, i.e. Senna" via tea.  It worked!  However, the longer I took it, the more I needed....then I added Senna tablets at night along with the tea, then more tablets and more, until I was up to FIVE a night, PLUS the tea!  Oh my goodness, an addiction had been born!  So, on the suggestions of two dear friends, Tammy and Kathy, I decided to visit
ICAM (Integrated Complementary Alternative Medicine) www.icamamarillo.com
468-4616

      For many years, I believe that I have been putting toxins into my body through, chemicals, tobacco, alcohol, processed foods, sugar (lots), my beloved diet cokes, fake sugar, medications, etc. etc....  Many years ago, when my mom was being treated for breast cancer with chemo, I saw how sick she was during her treatments and thought to myself, "how could something so toxic be good for her?"  It didn't make sense.  I know chemotherapy has come a LONG way since the mid '80's and I'm so thankful for that, but it is still a toxin.

     So, back to the reason I went to ICAM and the reason for the title of this post:  Knowing that my odds go up to contract breast cancer because my mom had it and it was found when she about 48 years old, I decided I wanted to take a MUCH MORE proactive role in my health and well-being NOW, and thwart the possibility of that dreaded disease from manifesting in my body.  The first action was to find out what my levels of Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone are.  With depression and profound PMS symptoms, I figured that would be a great place to start.  I learned (gathering more knowledge), that the actual levels of those hormones cannot accurately be determined just through a blood test.  A saliva test was needed to give the most accurate level of those particular hormones.  Excessive Estrogen has been linked to breast cancer....hmm?  I need to know NOW if my Estrogen level is too high.  That would be very pertinent information for a daughter who's mother died of breast cancer at the age of 51, wouldn't it?  However, conventional medical professionals have never explained to me that information OR that a saliva test is needed to accurately test the level of that hormone.   Maybe they disagree with that information. Who knows?

    Next, I gave 10 vials of blood away Monday to be tested for just about everything under the sun, literally.  I go back to ICAM on January 24th to find out all the results of these tests and I am very excited to hear, BECAUSE, with all that information, I will learn what condition my body is in-- in just about every area.  I will learn what vitamins, minerals, and foods, (that God created), I need to maintain a healthy body that is capable of fighting off disease.

     So why would I be sharing all this information on a blog post?  Because I know women read this post.  When I posted about depression, I got many response emails and I suspect many woman have had similar problems/symptoms as I have.  I share this information with you to encourage YOU to take a proactive role in your health as well.  God created the Earth and I am beginning to understand that the fruits, vegetables and plants He created were for us to be nourished and healthy and disease-free!  He's a perfect God, Who created a perfect Earth....it is Man who messed it up. The less man processes His stuff, the better it is for us...  He is a wonderful Creator, isn't He?

     As for the problem I mentioned earlier in my post, things are moving along much better. :)

And what union can there be between God's temple and idols?  
For WE ARE the temple of the living God.  As God said:  "I will live in them
and walk among them.  I will be their God and they will be My people."  
2 Corinthians 6:16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs