Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eternal Perspective

Week before last, I went to two funerals. Fathers of friends of mine...Both funerals were so sweet and even though I went not knowing their fathers, I left having a much better idea of who they were to each of my friends. I think about death a lot...not in a morbid way...if there is such a non-morbid way to think about death...hmm? that sounds like an oxy-moron doesn't it? I think about what Heaven is going to be like and I imagine so many different things about Heaven. Some based on what I've heard, read or seen and some just merely based on my own imagination and hopes.

A women's life group I belong to just finished up a Beth Moore study called The Inheritance. It was unbelievably great, as all her studies are. I always leave each week having gained a fresh revelation about some scripture that gives me a new freedom in some area of my life. One thing Beth said a few weeks ago in regards to our time to die was something like this....and I am paraphrasing..."It's not our time to go until the last nail is hammered into our newly built house; then Jesus comes and gets us and takes us to see this beautiful house He built just for you and (me)." When Beth said that, it gave me such relief in understanding all the "whys" of someone's death...seemingly early deaths, too. It also humbled me immensely. Anytime I think of something and put an eternal perspective on it...I am always humbled. I have seen many deaths of many close people in my life, yet, I still seem to take it so personally--until I look at with an eternal perspective. Say for instance, Norm. I really struggled with his death. It didn't make sense to me at all. Nothing about the entire transplant, friendship, nothing made sense to me after he died. But when Beth made that statement...it all became crystal clear: Right this very second, Jesus is constructing my eternal house! When He completes the construction of my house, He will send for me to come live in it. Pretty simple, huh? Until then, I live here on Earth to serve Him, glorify Him and bring people closer to His kingdom. Everyday, that is my call. He has given me gifts and talents to do just that so that I might enjoy glorifying Him, serving Him and helping people become more aware of His kingdom. SO aware, they would want to have a house built there for themselves as well!

The most humbling part of an eternal perspective for me is this: It's not about me! It's about HIM! This Earth and everything on it is about HIM! Not us! In such a world of "consumption"...it's hard not to get "consumed" with ourselves and our lives and forget that its all about HIM! I'm the worst! I have to remind myself daily, "This won't last (whatever "this" is...usually some situation, some materialistic desire, etc. etc.)

From how I interpret the Bible, the end is coming. It's always been coming. When, I don't know, but I do know that its coming. Jesus says He has prepared a place for me (and you) and if He has prepared a place for us, He will return to get us. For me, that is the most comforting news of the day...amidst all the headline news we hear. I can't think of anything better to hang my hat on that that: Jesus is coming to get us. My prayer is that every day until then, I will live with an eternal perspective and I will be more than ready to meet Him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs