Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Transformed and made new. . .

I just finished putting a coat of primer on my $50 desk that I'm "transforming." I had the opportunity to buy a $300 beautiful desk, trimmed with rich leather and brand new, but it didn't seem "fitting" for me. No, I much prefer the older, used and not so attractive $50 desk. It was a blank canvas to me. Made out of MDF board, covered with a cheap veneer-I couldn't wait to begin the "transformation" process! So, I started sanding the old thing last night and finished up today. I put one coat of enamel based primer on it and it will soon be ready for the deep, red paint I have envisioned for it. Oh, I have big plans for this old desk. Although, not a pretty sight when I bought it and definitely not "valuable" to most-this desk will be priceless to me when I'm finished with it.
It occurred to me today as I stood up after stroking the last place with primer on the desk, that this desk represents me in many ways . .
I was of no use to anyone not too many years ago. Six to be exact. I was used, worn, damaged, full of sin and definitely not valuable to myself and most others-except for One. The One and Only. He saw value in me despite my worn, outer appearance and seemingly useless life. He saw something in me, much like I saw in this old, cheap desk--its TRANSFORMATION.

When I think about that beautiful, $300, brand new desk, it reminds me of the Pharisees mentioned so often in the New Testament. From my reading recollection, they surely looked good on the outside, but weren't all that "functional" for meeting the needs of others. That's similar to that beautiful, new desk. It had long, stately legs, trimmed in leather. (However, it was so tall, that an ordinary chair would've been too short to use with it.) It had a slender silhouette, all trimmed in rich, luxurious leather. (But, the top of the desk was so narrow, it didn't provide much work space.)
Hmm? I wonder. . .can we as Christians appear so beautiful and pristine on the outside, yet be so useless to those who need us?

Although, "saved" at age eleven at church camp, I no more had a relationship with Jesus Christ than any non-believer I passed by. I might be a little harsh on myself. I did pray when I needed something. But this was definitely a one-way relationship. I didn't ever ask Jesus what I might be able to do for Him---just what could He do for me.

So, I must close for now to clean up the patio where my freshly primed desk sits drying so nicely. I plan to continue writing about this desk and the parallels to my life for quite some time. This is truly for my own pleasure to put into "type" what I've desired to do for three years-write and finish a book on the transformation process that Jesus did in my life. This blog just might help me get there. :)



3 comments:

  1. Dear Transformed,

    Thank you for inviting us all along on this journey. We are big fans of the reuse/recycle notion and I know that HE is as well. Looking forward to reading about the progress of the "desk."

    Signed,
    Your former partner in sin and now sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,

    Thanks for allowing me to look into your life and see what God has done! He is so amazing and I praise Him for friends like you who are willing to be transparent in order to help others grow in Him. Love you girl!
    Tre

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to reading "you". You are such a delight and blessing to me and I look forward to the many others who will be touched as you write. Thank you for sharing. Love you, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs