Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Journey to Simplify

For months now, Gary and I have been talking about "down-sizing" our lives - simplifying, if you will.  We've both felt the stress of the crazy-busy world that everyone is living in, but really have wanted to do something about it.  That was months ago.  God heard our prayers and sent a row-boat with a couple from California on it who want to buy our home. (Yes, our new home, the big house we moved into just 2 years ago.)  Now, it might seem odd that we would want to sell a house we just bought two years ago, but not if the other house we had took 15 months to sell!  Having gone through an experience like that, it didn't take too long to decide to sell.

The mixed reactions we've gotten have been interesting.  Some people completely understand the idea and desire to downsize, get completely out of debt and others seem shocked that we would sell this house.

Gary and I both agreed, it's all God's.  Everything we have is God's, not ours.  It's not ours to hoard or idolize.  I began to wonder if I had idolized this big ole' house.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't proud to live in such a beautiful home, but honestly, my heart has changed over the past couple of months.  I don't want to think that a house is what brings me any sort of happiness.  Surely there is a problem with my flesh if there is any truth to that.  I will admit, as I've packed up our belongings this week, it's not been too difficult.  The amount of stuff that we've accumulated over the years is ridiculous!  The amount of stuff I've given away is ridiculous as well!

I've grown accustomed to buying things because I want them, not because I need them.  I have too many pairs of shoes and only two feet....too many blouses and only one body, too many dishes and only one mouth to feed....you get the point?  Excess has become the norm for me and God is gently removing excess from my life.

I drove out north of town today and saw the concrete slabs of homes that were burned completely down in fires last year.  Nothing left but the concrete.  Immediately, I thought of how blessed I am, so very blessed.  We have many options of where to live, but currently don't want to buy anything.  It feels too rushed, so, we're going to rent for a few months to determine our next move, (no pun intended.)

As God slowly and gently strips away my excess, my load feels lighter.  I truly am embracing the beginning of our journey to simplify.  I want my load to be lighter, less burdened with "stuff."  I know downsizing from 3600 square feet to 1600 square feet will not be easy, but I am up for the challenge.  I can look at it two ways:  I only have a small 1600 square foot place to live OR I am blessed to have any place to live, with running water, hot and cold, more than enough clothes to last me a lifetime, shoes for days, a large clean comfortable bed to sleep in every night....the list could go on and on....

I will post the details of our journey and keep you informed.  I suspect there will be good days and some difficult ones, but one thing I know is this:  my load will be much lighter.  For that, I am grateful indeed!

Be blessed. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs