Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dog Birthdays in Heaven?

Jesus and Shorty
Today would be Shorty's 15th birthday and I'm wondering how dogs celebrate in Heaven. . .?  I can imagine Shorty running through the grass, playing with the other dogs, and Itty (my cat).  It's been almost 3 weeks since Shorty went to be with the Lord.  The first three days after Shorty's passing were absolutely grueling.  There were many times I didn't think the pain would let up and the heaviness was almost unbearable occasionally.

Then, on the fourth day, God whispered to my Spirit, "Dawn, I gave Shorty to you for a season in your life to fulfill a purpose.  Shorty was wonderful for you during that season and many times, was like an Angel that helped you through some dark days, all the while, bringing you joy every time you walked in your house and she ran to meet you.  Shorty fulfilled her purpose in your life and for that season and now it's time for her to come on home.  That is why I've now given you Sugar.  She will fulfill a different purpose in your life and in this new season."

Sugar and Me
It was those words from God that finally brought some much needed peace to my aching heart.  God knew I needed a "cross-over" dachshund if the time ever came to put Shorty to sleep.  Honestly, I couldn't imagine NOT having a dachshund in my life-ever!  God also knew that I didn't need a puppy to have to train, but I needed a loving dachshund who would sit on my lap for hours; who would be happy to visit my aunts without barking or nervousness; who could travel easily with me if I needed to sneak her into a hotel; a dog who fell in love with me as quickly as I fell in love with her....and many more attributes that go unsaid...but understood.  God knew what I needed even before I asked.

It's crazy to think that He just put Sugar in my path one day, but He did.  I know why and so does He.  My tears today are for joy to celebrate all the wonderful years I had with Shorty Danielle and the wonderful gift God gave me in Sugar Britches.  I am so grateful.  I look at Sugar and see how GOOD God is to me...His mercy triumphs everything.  For all you pet lovers who have lost a loved one, my heart goes out to you as well.  It's difficult to understand the remarkable bond between pet and human...but it is undeniably sometimes thicker than skin, huh?

"The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him."
Lamentations 3:25

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs